Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Importance of Self Care


I think we all have our own self care rituals.  Those things that settle our minds, bring us peace, or make us laugh.  They're individual and unique and not one of us will have the exact same list, but here's mine:
  1. A cup of tea and a good book.  I can get completely absorbed in a book and tune out the world, especially a good bit of fiction where I can become immersed in another character's life.
  2. Massages.  This was a big addition in 2016.  I got hooked by doing a three massage Groupon and the company offers membership discounts, and while it's not cheap, it's worth every penny.  It took a few tries to find my perfect match, but I found a wonderful massage therapist who is also a PTA, and my monthly hour with her is one of the best hours each month. 
  3. Dog snuggles.  My life is too complicated to have a four legged friend, but I'm thankful family lives nearby and that their dog just adores me.  I go at least once a week for some serious snuggle time.
  4. Volunteering with kids.  I volunteer at a local kids museum, and while it's actually pretty hard on my body, I love every minute of it.  It wipes me out for most of the day though, so I have to be sure to schedule it when not much else is taking place that day.
  5. Slow weekend mornings.  I take the time to make coffee (grinding the beans and all) and a healthy egg based breakfast most weekend mornings and love the process of making something delicious and then just camping out on the couch for an hour.
  6. Compelling television.  Seriously.  It gets me out of my head and invested in what I'm watching, and if there's nothing new I'm interested in, there's always old West Wing reruns on Netflix (thank you Netflix!).
  7. Heating pads.  I adore my heating pad.  I'm sure it's part psychological and part physical, but its that feeling of "oh, yes, soon this will feel really good". 
  8. Great wool socks.  Frankly, I get mine from Costco - they're great quality, affordable, cute, and keep my feet toasty warm all winter.
  9. Intentionally schedule down time for me.  It's as important as a doctor's appointment or a family birthday.  My me time keeps me sane.  It means that yes, I'm at home watching a movie, reading a book, or listening to music, but it keeps both my mind and body happy.
Over the last few years, I've started seriously investing in my sleep:
  1. A temperature regulating, prima loft, allergen free comforter.  A month ago I broke down and invested in a pricy comforter from The Company Store.  I'm so thankful that I did!  I used to get too hot or too cold with great frequency, because my comforter was simply too heavy.  I'd eventually throw it off sometime mid sleep and then wake up freezing.  My sleep comfort is as important as just about anything else.
  2. Adjustable fill, hypoallergenic, shredded memory foam pillow.  Thank you Coop Home Goods for helping me make that perfect Goldilocks quality pillow!  I bought one and after a few months promptly bought another.  I've had them for almost two years and they're worth every penny.
  3. A decent sound machine.  They're incredible.  I live in an apartment building and don't hear the sounds of traffic, of neighbors talking, of doors closing.  It's a tiny magic box.

No comments:

Post a Comment